Affittacamere Lamezia Terme, B&B Lamezia Terme, Casa Vacanze Lamezia Terme, Lamezia Terme Guest House, Lamezia Terme Vacation Home
The Archaeological Museum opening hours: morning 8:30 to 12:30; afternoon 15:30 -18.00.During the months of June, July, August: morning 8:30 to 12:30; afternoon 16:00 to 6:30 p.m..
The width of the spaces allows the articulation of the new exhibition in three distinct sections: Prehistory, Classical Age, Medieval Age. Prehistory. The prehistoric section, dedicated to the scholar from Nicastro Dario Leone, documents the human presence in Calabria since ancient times. In the display cases are exhibited of the oldest tools used by early Palaeolithic hunters who inhabited the region. On display are also the signs of the presence of Neolithic farmers on the Plains of Lametia (Maida, Acconia, St. Peter Lametino), from 7500 years ago. Classical Age. The oldest archaeological evidence of the Greek period, sporadic, but interesting, belong to the seventh century BC and it consists of pottery fragments, collected in places Sansinato, Lamezia- Catanzaro isthmus, which witnesses the use of the isthmus as a communication route shorter and more comfortable between the Ionian and Tyrrhenian. The display cases of the classical section illustrate mainly the archaeological discoveries, inscriptions and coin related to Terina, beautiful sub-colony of Croton, whose urban reality has been identified in the area of Santa Eufemia Vetere, where since 1997 the Superintendence of Calabria conducts systematic research. Medieval Age. The medieval section so far mainly devoted to the Castle of Nicastro, of Norman origins, is enriched by the findings of the Abbey of St. Mary of St. Euphemia found during an archaeological campaign in 2006. In the display cases of the Castle you can see a selection of the most significant material found during the archaeological excavations conducted by the Archaeological Superintendence of Calabria from 1993 onwards. The choice of pieces, placed in the cases , in accordance with a strictly chronological criteria , intends to witness the settlement in the fortress of a continuous presence from the Byzantine and Norman to the modern age. Other cases display the results of the investigations carried on by the Benedictine Abbey of Santa Eufemia, built between 1062 and 1065 by Robert Guiscard on the ruins of an ancient Byzantine monastery, with a sampling of ceramic fragments recovered with the recent excavations and the exposure of other finds from the Abbey.