Among the architectural heritage present within the Lametino area, the Bastion of Malta is the best preserved. Its construction dates back to the mid-sixteenth century, when, the Viceroy of Naples, Don Pedro from Toledo, by order of the Spanish crown, imposed the communities at their own expense, to reinforce the coastal defense system already existing, against the continuous raids of the Saracens reorganized under the Ottoman flag,
The stretch of coast from Savuto to Turrina was under the jurisdiction of the Order of Jerusalem of the Abbey of St. Euphemia so called of the Knights of Malta since 1530, when this island had become their last site.
Therefore, they built the powerful Bastion, which still stands proudly and in good condition 800 meters from the shoreline, (due to the advancement during the centuries of the coastline), and the numerous coastal towers on the north and south of it, near to each other.
The Bastion has a compact based truncated pyramid structure, and above a square tower, divided into four large rooms with vaulted ceilings.
Within the battlements and parapet, on which there are three areas of more modest size, , a large terrace covers the Bastion.
On the front door to the square tower on the east façade is the coat of arms with shield of the Bailiff Fra Gattinara Signorino, who, in the inscription dated 1634, is credited for having endowed the Bastion of war machines.
With the sale of Church property imposed in the kingdom of Naples by Joseph Bonaparte in 1806, The Bastion became private property.